~Charlene's Web~

Sunshine, Laughter And Friends Are Always Welcome!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

I'm happily married to Mr. Man. We have 2 daughters, Big R and Little R. I'm a stay at home mom. We moved from the big city to the country, living a dream. I'm a collector and a packrat. I'd rather read a book than watch a movie. I battle depression. I love life, but that wasn't always the case. This is my journal.

<BGSOUND SRC="http://www.geocities.com/charswavs12/.wma" LOOP=INFINITE=TRUE>

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I Love Auctions

Greetings. What can I say? It's been more of the same since I last posted. As you may or may not know, my niece passed away I think in January '09, then her husband passed in September or October '10. I've been in contact with their daughter via Facebook for a while. We don't talk much but when we do it's comfortable. I love seeing the pictures of her family and her kids which would be my great-great-nieces and nephews. Recently I got an invite from her to participate in an online auction. They were auctioning off their parents stuff. I had very mixed emotions about the whole thing. I began thinking about it, I love auctions, and my niece had some very nice stuff. I imagined the kids had taken what they wanted and had to do something with the rest. Then I remembered that my niece had my parents antique diningroom set. Well the thought of having that really got me going. I found out there was no reserve! So I registered. I looked at everything over and over again for a week before the day of the auction. We went to the preview at the house. I was a little shocked to see my nieces house in such disarray. But the house was sold and it needed to be emptied out. Sure enough the diningroom set was the first three items listed. I can't tell you how excited I was to have the chance to get my hands on that. Also worried sick that it would slip through my fingers. People were already bidding days before the day of the auction. I decided to wait til the last minute to start bidding. Why drive the price up? I was so nervous come the day of the auction. My funds were very limited. There was a good chance that furniture would go beyond my means. So I decided that if it did go too high for me there was a bunch of smaller stuff I'd like to have. Almost immediately the furniture was out of my grasp. It got split up and went to 2 different bidders. Sigh. I had to convince myself that it was a blessing in disguise. I would have had to store it at a friends place for one thing. That's a bit ridiculous. Do I really need a bunch of wobbly old furniture? The answer is no, I don't. So I happily bid on a bunch of smaller lots. I ended up with boxloads of stuff. One thing I did want and got was a lot of dishes which contained a couple of my mothers teacups. Long story but I had given them to my niece because she wanted them. So now I'm faced with going through everything, deciding what to keep or not, and finding homes for all this stuff. Thankfully I didn't get any furniture lol.

The day we went to the preview we stopped to visit my niece and her husband at their final resting place. We couldn't find them. Then we realized we were at the wrong cemetery. There are two of them close to each other. Next time we're down that way we'll pay them a visit. My niece, her mother (my sister, passed in December '08) and her husband, none of them had funerals. So I never really mourned. Just didn't have that closure. It didn't quite seem real. This auction made it real for me as far as my niece. I mourned for a week or so. It was a rough week. Very mixed feelings.

Then after talking to my great niece I decided to go visit my brother-in-law, my late sister's husband. I've known him my whole life. He's up there in Gravenhurst with no family around. He lost his wife, daughter and son-in-law. So Mr. Man and I drove up to see him on the long weekend. It was a little awkward, but not bad. We took him out for dinner. Don't ever go to Boston Pizza in Gravenhurst! Trust me, it was awful. It was noisy as hell, packed, dirty, it stank horribly and the food was disgusting. Live and learn, we won't ever be going back there. I promised myself I would keep in touch with him and visit him more often. When my sister passed I hadn't seen her in a couple of years. So now I'm mourning over her. Going to her house without her there made it much more real to me.

I've decided that when I die I want a funeral. My sisters ashes were scattered throughout Gravenhurst, so there is nowhere to go "visit" her. I've also decided I want to be put in a place where people can "visit". I used to want to be buried, but now I think I'll go with cremation. Mr. Man wants to be cremated, so we may as well stay together.

Yeah, so now the apartment is full of boxes again. Just as I'm getting used to living here, nesting, thinking we're staying, Mr. Man starts talking about moving. Sigh. I've been looking all along, there's nothing out there. I've lived in nicer places but I've lived in worse places too. So, I'm content here for now. With me having no car, it's conveniently located. The building is a little slummy, but our apartment is decent.

Still haven't found skates for Mr. Man. Still looking though. Now it's to the point that he needs to start working on the bike if we're going to ride this year. Maybe we'll go skating next winter. Little R continues to leave a wake of drama everywhere she goes. I think she wants to move out. I can't even talk about her. So I guess that's it for now. My passion for auctions has been renewed. Live is better than online. There's always eBay for that anyways. I expect the bike will be the focus of our life soon enough. That's it, that's all, have a great week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home