~Charlene's Web~

Sunshine, Laughter And Friends Are Always Welcome!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

I'm happily married to Mr. Man. We have 2 daughters, Big R and Little R. I'm a stay at home mom. We moved from the big city to the country, living a dream. I'm a collector and a packrat. I'd rather read a book than watch a movie. I battle depression. I love life, but that wasn't always the case. This is my journal.

<BGSOUND SRC="http://www.geocities.com/charswavs12/.wma" LOOP=INFINITE=TRUE>

Friday, September 29, 2006

Once Again...Samaritans Purse Operation Christmas Child

Greetings...

This has become so boring and lame it's ridiculous. I know I say I like my life to be boring, but come on. My life isn't really THIS boring. It's just that I've reached a point where I am almost paranoid about what I post here.

My horoscope today says "if it isn't fun, it isn't right". That could pertain to a few things. Having no heat is definately no fun and certainly isn't right. Those fuckers at the propane company keep blowing us off. The part hasn't come in yet bla bla bla. I can't wait to be in the position to either change propane providers or just do away with the whole thing altogether (my personal preference) and go back to electric heat or whatever. These homes were all electric heat originally. Some still have it, some have been "upgraded" to oil or propane. All have supplemental wood stoves or fireplaces. We had electric heat at our last place and I loved it. Sure we got killer hydro bills, but, at least they let you make payments, unlike these fuckers, who won't even come out to deliver propane unless you have a minimum order, and then usually want immediate payment. They won't come out for anything under $300. It costs about $700 to fill the tank. A full tank only lasts a month or so in the winter. And how long has it been that we've been waiting for this part to arrive? A month? Give me a break. It's COLD here. They don't care. Not sure what their problem really is. They don't want to fix our furnace until they know we can pay them right away I guess. Jeez. At any rate, I feel like I'm getting sick all over again, just from being cold all the time. Bummer. If they don't show up today, then it won't be until Monday at the earliest because they don't do weekends. It's so bogus. We're going to run out of firewood before it's even winter!
My horoscope also told me to make a phone call or send a nice email, to end the "game". LOL I don't think so!
So, as I've mentioned, I've been reading this blog lately, that my daughter told me about. The author doesn't update very often now, but there are archives going back years and years. So that's what I've been reading, the archives. I seriously can sit here for hours reading this thing. Every now and then, I'm like "OMG, this could be ME talking!" It's just bizfuckingarre. Last night I'm reading around Christmas 2005 and he mentions how every year his wife does this thing called "Operation Christmas Child". I'm like "wow, I did that this year for the first time". It was a pretty funny entry, talking about the lame stuff his wife was putting in the shoeboxes. Explaining why it was not a good idea to put pixie stix and glow sticks in. It was hilarious, but oh so true. Those would not be good choices of items to put in these gift boxes.
After reading multiple websites on the subject, from the official website, to seperate church websites, I became a little confused about what to pack in my boxes. The different churches, who have been doing this for years, all had their own little versions of whats ok or not. Sooooo, I called the 1-800 number to ask for myself. Particularly, regarding sharp objects. Now the official site says school supplies and hygiene supplies are good, but one church site said no sharp objects. I'm thinking scissors are school supplies, but they could be sharp objects. I'm thinking manicure kits are hygiene supplies but sharp objects. You get the idea... So I call and I ask specifically about those 2 things. The reply was scissors are ok, but manicure kits....these folks wouldn't know what it is or what to do with it. OK then. Upon thinking about it, I realized, yeah, I'm sure these folks have more pressing matters than manicuring their nails huh.
I think I did very well, within the guidelines. I did 6 boxes. There's 3 age groups for boys and girls. So I did one for each age group of each gender. I spent a heck of a lot more money on it than I had originally planned to, but thats ok. I got it done much sooner than I planned to, but thats ok too. The drop off dates aren't until the middle of November. They finally posted the drop off locations, and luckily one of them is a church in Orangeville.
I have a pile of stuff left over too. It was not an easy task fitting all the stuff I bought into a shoebox let me tell you. Some of them burned for one thing or another because I simply could not squeeze it in. So now, I can either put the left over stuff away for next year, and hope I remember where it is, come next year, or I can go out and pick up more stuff and make up a few more boxes. I'm opting for putting it away for next year. I don't have any more shoeboxes big enough to make it worthwhile. Its so hard to choose what stuff to pack with such limited space, ugh. We have so much cool stuff for kids and you know this is going to kids who have nothing. You just want to give them EVERYTHING. Actually, its amazing how much one can cram into a shoebox when you put your mind to it lol. But the main thing is, you're giving these kids HOPE. And letting them know that they are loved and not forgotten.
It is a Christian organization who does this, but you don't have to be Christian to receive the gifts. It goes wherever the need is greatest. Apparently millions of shoeboxes are sent. All these shoeboxes have to be shipped to their destinations right. So you must also enclose money to help cover the cost of shipping. Thats cool, its not a lot, like $7 per box.
I had first heard about this a few years ago when I went to visit S.P at her now closed store. She was sitting there packing a shoebox, I asked her what she was doing and she told me, but couldn't tell me anything about it, except that she was doing it for her church. Had she of told me about Operation Christmas Child, I would have started doing it then. But, she's funny like that. I finally did a search online and found out all about it. Yay me.

I guess no news is good news right. Haven't heard from Palmerston Hospital, so I'm assuming I don't have cervical cancer. Then again, I'm not the easiest person to reach via telephone, unless you're special enough to know my cell #. But yet again, given my somewhat remote location, I don't always have service, ugh.

Ok, I'm thinking I should get outside and mow the front yard, if not to warm myself up with activity, at least to get it done before it gets as bad as the back was and then takes me 2 days to do it. The other day, I wanted to do it but after the torrential rain, the ditch was full of water. Gotta mow the ditch, thats where the grass is most lush. Which reminds me, yesterday I said to myself, enough is enough, this place is a mess, time to start cleaning it up. So, I started puttering, putting stuff away, throwing stuff away, and I came across a box of books I had completely forgotten about! Out of sight, out of mind. However, I have nowhere to put them lol, so, they'll stay where they are, in a box, hidden away, gawd. I've currently got like 4 books on the go. One is about Bill Cosby, one is about Marlon Brando, written by an ex-wife or some such shit, one is about how to make money online in Canada and another is a true story murder mystery. So, yeah, I would still rather read Uncle Bob! LOL
Have a great day.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home