~Charlene's Web~

Sunshine, Laughter And Friends Are Always Welcome!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

I'm happily married to Mr. Man. We have 2 daughters, Big R and Little R. I'm a stay at home mom. We moved from the big city to the country, living a dream. I'm a collector and a packrat. I'd rather read a book than watch a movie. I battle depression. I love life, but that wasn't always the case. This is my journal.

<BGSOUND SRC="http://www.geocities.com/charswavs12/.wma" LOOP=INFINITE=TRUE>

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Raisin Sauce Recipes

It's sunny out but chilly. The temps have definately dropped again. Hopefully it will warm up this afternoon. As long as it stays above 0 degrees and isn't snowing, I'm happy.
Hubby and I watched 2 movies last night. I KNOW. They were old movies though. The first one was "The Shining", which is one we picked up at the grocery store the other day. I don't know how many times I've seen that movie, but I know I've never stayed awake for the whole thing. Hubby had to wake me up again this time. So I always miss little parts of it. I find the first half of it always puts me to sleep and then I miss the second half which is the best part.
The second movie we watched was "Turner And Hooch". This is one of Hubbys favourite movies, he likes the dog. I've never seen it before. We bought this one last summer at a yard sale. Its so odd, but I've been in the mood to watch movies since watching Titanic. And hardly doing any reading at all. The book I am currently reading is Stephen King's "Lisey's Story".
A long, long time ago, my brothers late wife gave me a recipe for raisin sauce. This stuff is delicious, it goes with ham. So last Easter I emailed my brother asking if he still had her recipes around and if so could he send me this one. I cooked a ham for the first time ever, last Easter. He sent it to me about a week after Easter. I ended up finding a similar recipe online and used that. Since I tend to save emails, I just had to look through my emails and found the recipe for this year, yay me. Though it was good last year, it wasn't quite the same, this recipe is much better I think. He actually sent me 3 recipes and now that I'm looking at them, I don't think any of them is the actual recipe. Dammit. These are like the ones I found online. All I remember is brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice and raisins. These recipes all have some of those ingredients but not all in one recipe. Grrrrr. I'm not a very good cook. I don't really enjoy cooking. Even when I follow a recipe, I don't think things turn out very good. Other people tell me its fine, but I never enjoy eating my own cooking. Because I'm not real good at it, I'm not good at substituting ingredients. You know how some people can, when they don't have an ingredient, just say "oh well we'll use this instead" and it turns out great? Not me. I have no clue what would work or not. Some of these recipes call for apple cider, I don't recall using apple cider before. (I did use this recipe once back when my late sister-in-law gave it to me, which was probably a good 20 years ago). I do remember using lemon juice, vinegar and brown sugar though. Ugh. Why do I now have the feeling he just looked it up online and didn't actually look through her recipes? His new wife doesn't cook. In fact she's worse than me. At least I do try ocassionally. But he told me he still has her recipes. I seem to recall some substituting going on when she gave it to me, if you don't want to use this ingredient, you can use that instead. Ugh, I'm so confused. I'll figure something out.
Well, Hubby just got up. As is the trend lately, he sounds crusty. Jeez, he got to sleep a lot longer than I did, I don't see any reason for him to be crusty. So, I'm off, have to go make him a coffee, that'll cheer him up.
In case anyone else would like to try these recipes, I'll post them here....

Raisin Sauce
Serve as a sauce with a baked ham dinner or use to top leftover slices the next day
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups apple cider
2 tables poons butter or margarine
1 cup raisins
measure cornstarch into small saucepan. Gradually stir in apple cider. Add butter and raisins. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until suce thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Serve warm. About 2 1/2 cups.
or
Apple-Cider Raisin Sauce
1 1/4 cups apple cider or juice
3/4 cup seedless raisins
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp dry mustard
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbs sherry or lemon juice
Combine cider, raisins and rind in a saucepan; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Blend together cornstarch, mustard, sugar and sherry; stir into hot mixture and let cook until thick and clear. Serve warm with ham. Makes about 2 cups.Note: Chop 1 tart peeled apple and simmer with cider and raisins if desired.
or
Raisin-Orange Sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup seedless raisins
1/2 tsp salt
1tbs vinegar
1tbs butter or margarine
Juice and grated rind of 1 orange
Mix sugar and cornstarch together in a sauce pan: stir in hot water and cook 5 minutes. Add raisins and cook 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Makes about 1 cup. Serve with roast duck, goose, pork, ham.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home