~Charlene's Web~

Sunshine, Laughter And Friends Are Always Welcome!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

I'm happily married to Mr. Man. We have 2 daughters, Big R and Little R. I'm a stay at home mom. We moved from the big city to the country, living a dream. I'm a collector and a packrat. I'd rather read a book than watch a movie. I battle depression. I love life, but that wasn't always the case. This is my journal.

<BGSOUND SRC="http://www.geocities.com/charswavs12/.wma" LOOP=INFINITE=TRUE>

Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Best Yard Sale!

We did go out for breakfast. We went somewhere different this time. A little place in a little nearby town. It turns out this was the day for their annual duck race. The Grand River runs right through this town. Apparently what they do is dump thousands of rubber ducks into the river from a bridge. (Well ok, maybe not thousands. But a crateful.) People pay five dollars for a duck. Then there are cash prizes, first place is $1000!, for the first ducks to reach the finish line. There's like a town party at the finish line as well. We had things to do so we didn't stick around to see it or join in, but next year we're going to make a point of going to it. And I'm pretty sure it will be mentioned in the next local newspaper. I've never seen that town so alive. This duck race is the most excitement this town sees. There were people all over the place. There were yard sales all over the place too. We went to several. We bought something at just about every one we stopped at. At one place I got 6 V.C Andrews books for Little R. She has started reading those recently.

The best sale was in our own little town. We drove by it and I thought it was strange that there were no signs out. But there were lots of people stopping for it. Well, there were no signs because the sale wasn't on until today, they were just setting up. But they were gracious and let us shop, along with other people who had stopped in to look around. It was being held at the local cat shelter. I had no idea this place was a cat shelter. There is a small building, seperate from the house, full of cats. I see it all the time when we drive by, and thought it was odd for anyone to have so many cats. Now it makes sense, they rescue strays and whatnot. Apparently they have this sale every year, people donate stuff for them to sell, to support the shelter. We got a ton of good stuff from this one. We got a new mail box, for a buck! We had bought a new one when we moved here, because the one that was here was all rusted and ugly. Within a week, kids had gone through town hitting all the mailboxes, and broke our flag off. We needed a new one again, badly.
Among our fabulous finds were...
  • A new mail box. It's huge, it's yellow plastic, it looks like a giant cob of corn. A buck.
  • A box of tools and brand new drill bits, etc. $10. Mr. Man was tickled with this score.
  • Books, $.25.
  • VHS Movies, $.50.
  • 2 snow shovels and an edger, a buck each.
  • 2 gigantic flower pots/planters, a buck.
  • A gorgeous, ceramic bunny, to put in my garden, a buck.
  • A plastic owl, $.50! I've been looking at these, have wanted one for years, but could never bring myself to pay the $20.

While I cut the grass in the front and got started on the back, Mr. Man drove Little R and a friend to town to go to the movies. I took some pictures around the front yard. The first one is the bunny I scored, isn't it sweet?



This is the angel I got a couple of weeks ago at the antique/flea market...



This is the wheelbarrow I got a few weeks ago, which was way over priced at $60, but I couldn't resist. I'm going to plant some Wave Petunias in it.


Today is rainy, ugh. The cat shelter sale is on today, so we were planning to go back. We were thinking of even taking a couple of boxes of our crap over to donate to the sale. It looks like I may not get to finish cutting the grass today either.
Enjoy your day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home